Cardiio is a health technology company born out of MIT and works on solutions to make physiological sensing frictionless. We provide mobile and cloud-based software that turns ordinary cameras into biosensors, allowing people to use the devices they already own to gain insight and take charge of their wellbeing. We are backed by Rock Health, the first seed accelerator for digital health startups.
Cardiio App Features
• Touch-free, real-time heart rate measurements using the front camera of iPhone/iPad
• Underlying technology originated from the MIT Media Lab and named Top 10 Inventions of 2011
• Beautiful and easy to use interface
• Personal dashboard with history (daily, weekly and monthly)
• Fitness level rating based on your heart rate
• Estimation of your potential life expectancy based on average heart rate
• Comparison of your heart rate against others
Our core technology is based on cutting-edge research and science conducted at the MIT Media Lab. Our earlier work has been published in the following top peer-reviewed journals:
• M.Z. Poh, D.J. McDuff and R.W. Picard, "Non-contact, automated cardiac pulse measurements using video imaging and blind source separation," Optics Express, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 10762-10774, 2010. [link]
• M.Z. Poh, D.J. McDuff and R.W. Picard, "Advancements in non-contact, multiparameter physiological measurements using a webcam," IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 7-11, 2011. [link]
• M.Z. Poh, D.J. McDuff and R.W. Picard, "A medical mirror for non-contact health monitoring," ACM SIGGRAPH Emerging Technologies, Aug 2011. [link]
Importance of Resting Heart Rate
• Resting heart rate is an important indicator of general health, fitness and longevity.
• Although increasing your heart rate during exercise is good, it is generally better and healthier to have a lower resting heart rate.
• A lower resting heart rate means that your heart is stronger and can work more efficiently.
• A slower heart rate also generally indicates aerobic fitness.